Dog Days of Summer – 3

Plant Problems

Spring re-newel is in the air and as we all begin reviving our lawns and tending our gardens there are a few common pet hazards to be cautious of.

One of the most common summer pet hazards is plant fertilizers and pest control agents. Numerous brands of common fertilizers meant for roses and other flower beds can contain Disulfoton (Oxydisulfoton). Disulfoton is a very potent organophosphate type insecticide that does an excellent job controlling insects but can be extremely poisonous to our pets. Disulfoton is typically ingested by curious dogs or pets that walk through the product and lick it from their paws. Very small volumes of these products are needed to cause potentially fatal toxicity (1 teaspoon can be fatal to a fifty-five-pound dog) or be very damaging to the internal organs of your pet. Signs typically begin within hours of ingestion and can include excessive drooling, excessive urination, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, muscle tremors, stumbling and weakness, seizures and possible death. Rapid veterinary treatment gives the pet the best chance of survival, but prevention by keeping your lawn and plant products up and away from pets and keeping your pets out of gardens and flower beds is the best way to keep your pet out of harm’s way.

As plants bloom and we have more flowers around, whether they are from our gardens or flower shops, beware of felines and any kind of Lily. All parts of lily plants are poisonous to cats and simply chewing on the petal or leaf of the lily can be harmful. Cats that ingest parts of a lily tend to show signs of toxicity such as vomiting, lack of appetite and depression within one to two hours. The toxicity then progresses to severe renal failure and potential death. Treatment to reduce long-term kidney damage and death is crucial in the first eighteen hours.

Font Resize
Contrast
Call Us Text Us