Oh Baby…its getting cold outside!

We have all noticed the cooler temperatures rolling in and many of us are thinking about the household and property preparations we need to do or might have even started checking items off that long, tedious list! This week I want to touch on a few of the pet and stock hazards that can arise from tackling those winter tasks.

  • Anti-freeze. Anti-freeze is one of the more well-known hazards but is still a problem for pets every year. Anti-freeze ingestion, even in very small volumes (a couple of licks), can be toxic and deadly.
  • Raisins, Onions, Chocolate and More. Common holiday foods can be very dangerous to our pets. Raisins and grapes can cause severe, fatal kidney failure, with just one grape or raisin. Ingestion of onions and garlic can lead to severe blood issues and death. Chocolate can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, arrhythmias of the heart, coma and death depending on the chocolate type, amount eaten and the size of your pet.
  • Bones, Fat and Full Birds. Whatever your holiday meal of choice is, it’s likely not good for your pet. Food high in fat (ham, gravy etc.) can lead to recurrent vomiting and pancreatitis. Bones from your holiday feast can become lodged in your pet’s throat, stomach or intestines and can cause intestinal blockages and even punch holes in the intestine.
  • Pest Baits. Mice and rats tend to work their way in this year. Use caution when selecting pest control baits. Many baits can be fatal to our pets despite veterinary care.

If you believe your pet has ingested any of the above hazards, call your veterinarian first; before you google it. It does not cost anything to call your veterinarian and they will have the accurate information and best plan specific to your pet and the toxin they ingested.

Font Resize
Contrast
Call Us Text Us