During these festive times, our pets tend to find themselves in more trouble than usual! Even with the best effort to prevent problems, our pets have a way of counter-surfing and rummaging their way into trouble. This week lets discuss a few different at-home pet emergencies and how to handle them safely!
Ingestion of Inedible Things:
Dogs and cats have a long history of eating things they should not. From the more common yarn or string, pieces of toys, and socks and underwear to the more unusual shower loofa, gravel, and rubber ducks animals eat all sorts of things they should not. Every incident of a pet eating something they should not is unique and should be handled with care. Follow these steps to help your pet if they eat something they should not.
- Call your veterinarian or ASPCA poison control hotline to see if you should induce vomiting in your pet. Some poisons (e.g. chocolate) are safe for your pet to vomit up while others (e.g. bleach or toys) are not.
- Keep hydrogen peroxide in your medicine cabinet, not for wounds, but to feed to your pet if you need to make them vomit up a poison.
Burns and Scalds:
Pets are notorious for being curious and occasionally get burned with hot water, hot food or a hot stove. Burns and scalds can be very painful for pets, but not as obvious as they are in people. Pets’ hair tends to mask any burned skin until that skin is damaged. If you think your pet has been burned call your veterinary ASAP and run cool to luke warm water over the burned area for 15 minutes. Your pet will likely need medications and topical treatments to help heal the burns.
Stay tuned next week for more tips about pet emergencies!