You Ate What?

Pets are notorious for eating things they should not. Every year thousands of pets require surgery to remove items they ate costing pet owners millions in veterinary fees. Some common items pets eat include fish hooks, silverware, wedding rings, and toys. Interestingly, some of the most harmful and most notable items also include:

  • A string of intact Christmas tree lights surgically removed from a large breed dog who liked shiny objects. The string of lights still lit up after surgery.
  • A bulldog ate two and a half pounds of driveway gravel after bacon grease was poured on it.
  • A Great Dane made headlines after he underwent surgery to remove forty-three socks from his stomach.
  • Pets can also experience poisoning from objects they eat. For example, pennies have been made with mostly zinc since 1985, and zinc can cause massive, body-wide destruction of red blood cells.

Foreign objects in the gastrointestinal tract of a pet cause harm to your pet’s body and can be life-threatening. The most obvious problem a pet can experience is a blockage of their intestines. Early on, a blockage can cause a lack of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If the blockage remains in place it can damage the intestines leading to leakage of food into the abdomen and a life-threatening infection.

If you see or suspect that your pet has ingested something immediately. Do not induce vomiting without your veterinarian’s recommendation because some objects will cause more harm to your pet when vomited! Overall, keep an eye out for hazards that your pet could see as appetizing!

Font Resize
Contrast
Call Us Text Us